Let's face it - tree stumps are unsightly and they get in the way. So why not remove those stumps safely and permanently with our stump grinding service.
Why Grind Tree Stumps?
Beside the aesthetic reasons for removing tree stumps, there are also health and safety considerations.
- The stump may be a safety hazard or obstacle that could injure someone.
- If you want to plant a new tree in the same location (or even nearby), you'll have to remove the stump first.
- Destructive carpenter ants and/or termites love dead tree stumps - the only way to prevent this is to grind the stump away.
- As the stump slowly rots away, harmful fungi move in and could spread disease to nearby trees or plants - stump grinding eliminates this problem.
- Removing the stump is the only guaranteed way to prevent the tree from growing back.
How Does Stump Grinding Work?
A stump grinder is a piece of heavy equipment with a carbide-tipped steel wheel on the front that spins like a saw blade. The wheel is lowered onto the edge of the stump and moves from side to side, grinding deeper into the stump with each swipe. Eventually the whole tree stump is ground up into small wood chips, including the main roots below the stump.
Stump Grinding Options
We offer a few options when grinding tree stumps, ranging from simply grinding the stump away to a complete removal, filling and replacement.
Stump Grinding Only - This option involves grinding the tree stump down to about 4-6 inches below ground level. We leave the wood chips where they are. You're left with a hole that you can fill with any material you like, including topsoil, wood chips, gravel, etc. and you're responsible for any clean-up.
Stump Grinding & Backfill - After grinding the stump, we fill the hole with screened topsoil and then reseed the area with high quality grass seed. We can also cover the area with mulch instead of grass seed if you prefer. We remove all the wood chips and debris so the area is completely cleaned up when we leave. In a couple of months, you won't even know the stump was there!
We can also plant a new tree where the stump was and are happy to help you choose a tree that's suitable to the area. You can learn more about our Tree Planting services here >>
Request a Free Quote
Give us a call at 440-564-1374 or click below to set up a time for us to inspect your trees for a free estimate.